Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Eric Bergen eric.bergen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 05:28:16 UTC 2013

I decided to check out Fedora again after a few years of using Kubuntu
after reading about the MySQL/MariaDB discussion. As a long time KDE
and Mac OS user I hope my first experience with gnome-shell will help
your discussion.

After getting Fedora installed and getting to the basic desktop I
honestly had no idea what to do. Not having a start menu or some kind
of applications or programs button is a bit confusing at first. The
only two things available to click that have any kind of meaning are
'Activities' on the left and my name on the right.

After figuring out that Activities brings up a menu of sorts and the
'dial pad' really means applications I was in business. The UI was
horribly slow while figuring this out. I eventually was able to get a
terminal up, run top, and see that gnome-shell is eating all the cpu.
After some painfully slow searching I got the nvidia driver installed
and gnome-shell started to behave.

I then went to work trying to figure out how to switch the default
desktop. I was able to get Cinnamon and MATE installed. Switching to
them was the next problem. Google returned some links about switchdesk
and system-switch-display manager both of which failed. Then I
remembered an old login screen from some other linux experience long
ago had the ability to switch the session manager.

Success! I've switched over to Cinnamon. The start style menu is back
and I am happy. I'm sure I could get used to gnome-shell but my first
experience wasn't a good one.