Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 07:45:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On 02/05/2013 07:42 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

>>> Is the situation Fedora is in essentially better? I feel no.
>>>
>>> Reality is, when mentioning Fedora to Linux users, I am having
>>> difficulties to not get laughed at. "Freaks'/nerds' distro", "Ubuntu is
>>> much easier", "Fedora lacks soooo much", "Way too unstable", "Way too
>>> short life-cycles" are the usual answers.
>>

>> Let's not go down that path. It's far off topic.
>
> I disagree. Fedora's lack of popularity is largely thanks to these issues.

No the desktop choice isn't the issue (it wasn't any more popular in
the GNOME2 days).

For the "new users":

There is no easy way to install applications (regular user don't want
to mess up with packages).
We do not ship stuff that some user want to use (by design or for
legal reasons).

For the "advanced users" the desktop choice matters even less because
they know how to chose a desktop.