Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Feb 5 08:09:20 UTC 2013

On 02/05/2013 08:45 AM, drago01 wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

>>> Let's not go down that path. It's far off topic.
>>
>> I disagree. Fedora's lack of popularity is largely thanks to these issues.
>
> No the desktop choice isn't the issue (it wasn't any more popular in
> the GNOME2 days).

In the Gnome2 days you had choices between functionally similar DEs.

Times have changed ... Gnome has been forked multiply (Gnome3, MATE,
Cinammon), xfce/enlightenment are back.

Why? IMO, due to user dissatisfaction with what primarily Fedora and
Ubuntu ship as default DEs, rsp. because Gnome has dropped their former
userbase.

> For the "advanced users" the desktop choice matters even less because
> they know how to chose a desktop.

To "advanced users" anaconda enforcing GNOME is defect ;)

Ralf