Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 5 11:16:58 UTC 2013

> >Good people walk balanced step towards the goal. Others, without
> >knowing, dance around them contemporary dances. (Franz Kafka)
> >
> >I wouldn't be worried that Fedora is not cool. Actually, thinking about
> >it, that's the best part of Fedora.
>
> Absolutely d'accord ... But why have this "kool default DE" and not
> leave the choice to what its users actually use?
>
> Or differently: One of Fedora's "higher" goal is "freedom" - Why not
> demonstrate this attitude by example and decouple Fedora from Gnome?

Hey, it's "GNOME" and not "Gnome" ;)

If we start shipping DE choice on the ISO, it will make them heavier. And we
will always have to pre-select the available DE. We simply can't include them
all. Some won't have enough test. Some won't be as integrated as others. Some
won't be available or updated for the next release.
It is a really difficult choice.

But we can think about the most used DE (GNOME, KDE, Xfce, LXDE..?)
We already have a multidesktop DVD including an initial menu that let people
decide which DE to install by default.
We could probably advertise this one, or work on this to get it on the blockers?
I am not from QA, I don't have so much inputs from the release process for this
specific ISO, but I am sure that people like them.

Ok, we would still have GNOME by default on the DVD and the default live
download..

We can spread this topic in three parts:
- People install from the DVD
  We could probably advertize better the DE choice during Anaconda.
- People install from the default download ISO
  We can't include all DE on the media here, therefore we could be able to
  propose them an app or a start menu or something faster than PackageKit to let
  them easily change there DE.
- People are lost looking for the ISO that they want
  Then they should just install the default one and keep rocking. Or we need to
  improve our websites. Or we should graph a dowload workflow where everyone
  would be represented (simple users, experienced users, sysadmins...)

Hey folks, we have spins.fedoraproject.org for all that does not want the default
GNOME DE.
Can you please take one minute to check this website, and report me which spin
as an up to date content?
Most of this website is outdated (not the dowload links of course). The content
was created once. The screeshots was taken onces. The package listed on the
yum groups is probably outdated.
Do the websites team has to handle this? My reply is no. If you think so, join
us.
I have sent to the spin mailing list a request for new screenshot and fresh
content for several releases now (not for F18). Only got one or two answers.

What is important is not to propose something incredible once. We want to
provide quality. Everytime. We should maintain our softwares. Same for our
communication. Same for our websites. Same for our Fedora.

We are not seeking GNU/Linux users. We are seeking for contributors. If they
don't take the time to change their DE and just leave Fedora because we have
GNOME by default, do we really care? (Yeah, I do. A bit.)
But I agree, I don't like configuring things every time, I would not like to
have to install KDE and remove GNOME every time if I were a KDE lover.
But we have kickstart install. We already have spins.

We should probably just change the way we advertise them.

--
Kévin Raymond
(Shaiton)