Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 12:22:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On 02/05/2013 10:06 AM, Matej Cepl wrote:
>>
>> On 2013-02-05, 06:19 GMT, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>>>
>>> Reality is, when mentioning Fedora to Linux users, I am having
>>> difficulties to not get laughed at. "Freaks'/nerds' distro", "Ubuntu
>>> is much easier", "Fedora lacks soooo much", "Way too unstable", "Way
>>> too short life-cycles" are the usual answers.
>>

>> Good people walk balanced step towards the goal. Others, without
>> knowing, dance around them contemporary dances. (Franz Kafka)
>>
>> I wouldn't be worried that Fedora is not cool. Actually, thinking about
>> it, that's the best part of Fedora.
>

> Absolutely d'accord ... But why have this "kool default DE" and not leave
> the choice to what its users actually use?
>
> Or differently: One of Fedora's "higher" goal is "freedom" - Why not
> demonstrate this attitude by example and decouple Fedora from Gnome?

Freedom != Choice dialogs for everything.
Our users have the freedom to install whatever desktop they like.  And
where do you draw the line? Select browser? Select texteditor? Select
calculator? Select .... ?
Most users don't give a shit about this they just want to install and
be done with it. Those who want to select something different have the
freedom to do so.