Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Stijn Hoop stijn at sandcat.nl
Tue Feb 5 13:22:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 19:01:49 +0800
Mathieu Bridon <bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 11:12 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Sigh, let me try again: The Fedora project is pushing away Fedora
> > users from Fedora, because Fedora/RH have missed that it's "new
> > DE" (Gnome3) is addressing a different audience than Gnome2 did.
> >
> > The Gnome3 audience is not the classical Fedora user base (Linux
> > devs), it's the Android/iOS adicted "wipe/tile kidz".
> >
> > I.e. if Fedora wants to keep their "old user-base" you need to
> > offer them alternatives, and not to be stubborn on Gnome 3 for
> > whatever reasons.
>
> This is a gross generalization.
>
> I was a GNOME 2 user, and am still a GNOME 3 user.
>
> I loved GNOME 2 for their focus on simplicity and not getting in my
> way, and I love GNOME 3 even more as they went even further in that
> direction.
>
> My $dayjob is to make a RHEL/Fedora derivative distro, does that fall
> in what you characterize "the classical Fedora user base (Linux
> devs)"?
>
> I have never owned any Android/iOS device, am I a 'Android/iOS adicted
> "wipe/tile kidz"'?
>
> Can you please stop pigeonholing people this way?

Normally I try not to do this, but: what he said.

I would like to add a voice to the people having successfully switched
from GNOME 2 to GNOME 3. In fact, I started out with FVWM and have run
IRIX and SunOS desktops as well, before I got onto GNOME 1. If that does
not make me an old fart, I do not know what will. Compared to GNOME 2 I
really like GNOME 3, even with the remaining warts that I still
encounter (multiscreen support is not yet *there* for me mostly). And
no, I do not even run many extensions, just the ALT-TAB one.

I know lots of people are unhappy with "being forced to run GNOME 3",
but as has been pointed out in this thread that is a stretch if
anything. Even before installation it is possible to choose a distro,
after installation as well. Valid points in my eyes are that it should
maybe be even easier to switch DE's, either before or after install,
but there is nothing in there that makes it necessary to switch the
*default*.

--Stijn