Proposed F19 Feature: Fedora Upgrade - using yum

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Feb 4 17:52:02 UTC 2013

Am 04.02.2013 18:35, schrieb Miroslav Suchý:
> On 01/25/2013 12:12 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> So, you can ignore all of that, but then you have to think about what
>> you actually accomplished by your upgrade? You updated a couple of
>> libraries, and maybe managed to restart a few processes using them, but
>> for the rest of them the vulnerable openssl version is still in memory,
>> still actively used, even though your update script exited successfully
>> leaving the user under the impression that all was good now and that
>> after he made this upgrade his machine was not vulnerable anymore.
>
> And how this differ from
>   yum upgrade
> which I'm doing every day/week?
>
> Lets pretend I'm still running Fedora 16 and every day I do yum-upgrade and not rebooted from day zero.
> I have exactly the same problem as during yum upgrade to next Fedora release.
>
> So we are ignoring this behaviour in middle of release, but it is very serious problem between releases?

oh even if people like i did some hundret dist-upgrades over the
years it was us told that linux has to go the windows way:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OfflineSystemUpdates

a few years ago you could make a dist-upgrade and even httpd
and fileservers like "netatalk" were running in the old
version until reboot, did it, was there

then fedora introduced the restart-service-snippets in
every SPEC file, after that came Packagekit and after
systemd now all the things worked over decades are
suddenly not possible in a clean way - i do not buy
that the development goes in the right direction at all