Proposed F19 Feature: Fedora Upgrade - using yum

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Feb 9 08:10:41 UTC 2013

Reindl Harald wrote:
> oh even if people like i did some hundret dist-upgrades over the
> years it was us told that linux has to go the windows way:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OfflineSystemUpdates

Yeah, this is a really insane "feature"!

Let me assure you that this "feature" is only currently implemented in
gnome-packagekit. The command-line tools will probably NEVER implement this.
As for Apper, I can assure you that:
* this "feature" is not currently implemented in Apper,
* Apper's upstream author plans to support it in the future, but make it
optional, and
* KDE SIG has strong reservations about the usefulness and desirability of
this "feature" and it will likely end up disabled by default in Fedora if
implemented.

        Kevin Kofler