Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Pavel Simerda psimerda at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 16:13:48 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Reindl Harald" <h.reindl at thelounge.net>
> Am 05.02.2013 22:21, schrieb Luya Tshimbalanga:
> > On 05/02/13 12:09 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Gnome 3 is still Gnome. Both MATE and Cinnamon which came years
> > after Gnome 3 via Gnome-Shell, are reactionary for
> > self-interest because these DE can easily reproduced through
> > Gnome-Shell extensions meaning they will become
> > irrelevant in a future
>
> and if the developers (in this case GNOME developers) would
> be less ignorant while punish their users they would never
> became relevent because there would have been no reason to fork

I couldn't agree more. I can hardly imagine how an open project can be so careless about such large groups of their own users.

> > because these DE can easily reproduced through Gnome-Shell
> > extensions
>
> and why the hell did upstream not do this work from the very frist beginning?

I wouldn't ask specific people to actually work on it. But it would be nice if the core developers provided more support, feature stability and API stability. To ask them to actively encourage alternative GUIs and allow them to be built on top of the Gnome stack instead of forking some of its projects... would be probably too much.

If only it could be possible to make most of the Gnome devs learn from the community feedback instead of giving marvellous talks at conferences about how much the community is wrong.

Cheers,

Pavel