Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Wed Feb 6 16:49:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 11:13:48AM -0500, Pavel Simerda wrote:
> I wouldn't ask specific people to actually work on it. But it would be
> nice if the core developers provided more support, feature stability
> and API stability. To ask them to actively encourage alternative GUIs
> and allow them to be built on top of the Gnome stack instead of
> forking some of its projects... would be probably too much.

We specifically allowed gnome-panel and the entire fallback mode to be
forked / taken over once we received request for that. See the blogpost
from Vincent Untz and the release email announcements for details. Also,
gnome-main-menu is under the maintainership (@ git.gnome.org) of the
MATE developers.

> If only it could be possible to make most of the Gnome devs learn from
> the community feedback instead of giving marvellous talks at
> conferences about how much the community is wrong.

Seems you did not attend the talk. Suggest actually watching the video.

Apologies for adding some facts to this discussion :P

--
Regards,
Olav