Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Andrea Pescetti pescetti at apache.org
Wed Feb 6 20:30:51 UTC 2013

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> nobody will ever invoke "openoffice.org" if he wants to
>> run "libreoffice" [...] by pure
>> common sense and not even taking trademarks into account.
> My understanding is that trademarks don't protect functional interfaces,
> so in the absence of legal advice to the contrary we certainly shouldn't
> be taking trademarks into account here. If the libreoffice maintainers
> aren't enthusiastic about removing their existing aliases, it's probably
> going to have to be resolved as a policy issue via FESCO.

FESCo just approved the feature with the provision that LibreOffice
aliases won't change (and that there will be agreement on how to solve
conflicts). The aliases discussed involved oowriter, oocalc...; the
openoffice.org alias wasn't mentioned but it's probably not worth to
investigate it further at the moment; the technical issue is over
"soffice" and "unopkg", and this one should be addressed first.

Regards,
   Andrea.