GnuTLS soname bump in rawhide

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Feb 7 12:27:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 09:59:36PM +0100, Tomas Mraz wrote:
> I'm rebasing gnutls in rawhide to gnutls-3.1.7. This is much awaited
> upgrade by many. However note that potentially patented ECC sources are
> removed.
>
> The rebase bumps soname to libgnutls.so.28. The other potentially
> disrupting change is removal of libgnutls-extra.so. The only packages
> that depend on it are libguestfs and python-gnutls. I will look at them
> why do they need it.
>
> Dependencies will be rebuilt during the mass rebuild as I do not expect
> much breakage from the change.

The other potential impact is that gnutls no longer uses libgcrypt,
but instead uses nettle.

This can impact apps that were using gnutls in a threaded environment
because they probably have used 'gcry_control' to register a thread
impl for gcrypt, to ensure that gnutls was thread safe.

So merely rebuilding applications may well not work & require some
code changes. This will certainly impact libvirt builds.

Daniel