Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Stijn Hoop stijn at sandcat.nl
Fri Feb 8 19:45:30 UTC 2013

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 20:35:56 +0100
"Nicolas Mailhot" <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> Le Ven 8 février 2013 13:22, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> > On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 10:34:58AM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> >> I am providing a datapoint that directly contradicts your original
> >> statement, namely that there is a "completely different target
> >> audience" for GNOME 2 vs GNOME 3.
> >>
> >> I am that datapoint.
> >
> > As are various others during FOSDEM (Vincent Untz asked people to
> > raise their hands). No idea how representative that it.
>
> The FOSDEM poll was stacked — no one really wanted to hurt Vincent
> Untz too much given his obvious efforts to be nice, there was this
> knot of GNOME people bunched together that were a tad intimidating,
> and people do not go to FOSDEM to fight. What is telling however is
> the complete refusal of the audience to put systemd and Gnome 3 in
> the same bucket. Lennart's efforts to explain his project, understand
> sysadmin needs, provide a smooth transition and keep current usages
> working clearly paid off there.
>
> So don't overplay the GNOME 3 FOSDEM session, it was an awkward
> moment for everyone involved (and certainly not representative of the
> positive energy that permeated other presentations).

To be honest, I don't think any poll will ever suffice for this topic.
Nor do I think a poll is what's needed.

It should simply be easier to switch to a desktop that Works For You,
especially after installation, and even before if possible. That way we
can keep the anti-GNOME-3 people happy as well.

In the end I guess we can't get rid of the fanatical "GNOME 3 is for
tablets only" meme (and others like it that I personally don't agree
with), but hey, I don't mind as long as I can ignore those.

But I will keep objecting to the single-sided argument that there is
no "GNOME 2 user" that likes GNOME 3. I fully support those who have
tried and rejected the new stuff -- as long as they don't impose their
opinion on me :-)

--Stijn