Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Feb 8 19:35:56 UTC 2013

Le Ven 8 février 2013 13:22, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 10:34:58AM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
>> I am providing a datapoint that directly contradicts your original
>> statement, namely that there is a "completely different target
>> audience" for GNOME 2 vs GNOME 3.
>>
>> I am that datapoint.
>
> As are various others during FOSDEM (Vincent Untz asked people to raise
> their hands). No idea how representative that it.

The FOSDEM poll was stacked — no one really wanted to hurt Vincent Untz
too much given his obvious efforts to be nice, there was this knot of
GNOME people bunched together that were a tad intimidating, and people do
not go to FOSDEM to fight. What is telling however is the complete refusal
of the audience to put systemd and Gnome 3 in the same bucket. Lennart's
efforts to explain his project, understand sysadmin needs, provide a
smooth transition and keep current usages working clearly paid off there.

So don't overplay the GNOME 3 FOSDEM session, it was an awkward moment for
everyone involved (and certainly not representative of the positive energy
that permeated other presentations).

--
Nicolas Mailhot