Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Debarshi Ray rishi.is at lostca.se
Fri Feb 8 20:50:11 UTC 2013

> Unlike pulseaudio (in the above linked thread), AOO is
> end-user GUI application, not a library/daemon/sound-server/whatever
> used to get the wanted sound to your headphones (that by design
> interferes with anything else trying to do the same) ;-) By adding AOO
> we're not breaking some third app, we might break LO and that's exactly
> what I consider critical not to do. Is it doable? Are there people
> willing and able to do that? If yes, sure, let them.

It is irrelevant whether it is a daemon or a GUI application. The main
point is that you are confusing users and also developers. Why the hell
should a random user have to choose from half a dozen seemingly similar
programs when the information for making an educated choice is so hard
to obtain, if at all it can be obtained?

Whether it is editing a document or listening to audio, it is all about
using some piece of software to get something done. It is not about
spending loads of time to make the choice.

As for developers, why would they have to deal with bug reports filed
against the wrong component (AOO vs LO)?

Cheers,
Debarshi

--
If computers are going to revolutionize education, then steam engines and cars
and electricity would have done it too.  -- Arjun Shankar