Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 23:45:14 UTC 2013

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 20:50:11 +0000
Debarshi Ray wrote:
> It is irrelevant whether it is a daemon or a GUI application.
No, it is not. To stay with pulseaudio -- when you're playing a song,
it's not exactly easy to tell if it goes to your headphones through
alsa, oss, openal, pulseaudio, or a combination of these. When you
encounter a bug in Office suite, it's really easy to tell if you're
running Open Office or Libre Office, FWIW every sane DE shows the app
name in their app launchers and the names follow "LibreOffice Writer"
template.

> Whether it is editing a document or listening to audio, it is all
> about using some piece of software to get something done. It is not
> about spending loads of time to make the choice.
So you're basically telling me that it's better to only have one office
suite in repos? How about the lots of time finding where to download
the better alternative (better fitting for my needs) I want to use,
then spending hours figuring out, how to install it, only to end up
with memory exhausted message doing linking? No thanks. I certainly
prefer having to choice once and than yum install/update whenever new
version of the software or fedora is released, than either being stuck
with something I don't like or compiling a whole office suite every
other month...

Also, I don't *just* want to get something done, I want to do it
quickly, effectively and well. That's not the same! There are things
for which I use TeX, there are things for which I use LibreOffice
Writer, and there are things for which Abiword is all I need. I don't
think we should force on our diverse user base LibreOffice only. Some
can do their work better in Calligra, some do prefer Apache Open
Office. For those who know next to nothing, just want to write a
document, there is default.

> As for developers, why would they have to deal with bug reports filed
> against the wrong component (AOO vs LO)?
Are the people who don't know what app they're using really the target
audience of Fedora? It might seem so from our desktop spin, with apps
disguised as Files, Internet, ..., but I don't think that's the case.

Cheers,
Martin