Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Fri Feb 8 21:01:43 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Debarshi Ray <rishi.is at lostca.se> wrote:
> It is irrelevant whether it is a daemon or a GUI application. The main
> point is that you are confusing users and also developers. Why the hell
> should a random user have to choose from half a dozen seemingly similar
> programs when the information for making an educated choice is so hard
> to obtain, if at all it can be obtained?

1) If were so hard to make an educated choice, the users couldn't do
to badly by choosing either one, could they?
2) Just install LibreOffice by default (or make it the only one
visible during installation) and be done with it.

> Whether it is editing a document or listening to audio, it is all about
> using some piece of software to get something done. It is not about
> spending loads of time to make the choice.
This is one of the cases where the expression "it is about" used to
reference an association in human brain only obscures the argument, so
I'm left to guessing what you meant, anyway...  If you don't want to
spend the time to make a choice, don't.  If you don't want uninformed
users to need to make a choice, see above.  If somebody else wants to
spend time packaging, testing and bug fixing Apache OpenOffice, that
doesn't hurt you, or most others, in any way I can see.

> As for developers, why would they have to deal with bug reports filed
> against the wrong component (AOO vs LO)?
If the users can find the bug tracker, they can also probably find the
Help/About menu.  If anything, this will put more work on the AOO
package maintainers.
    Mirek