Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Debarshi Ray rishi.is at lostca.se
Fri Feb 8 20:56:48 UTC 2013

> There are multiple alternative office suites already in Linux. Adding one
> more isn't really going to aggravate the problem too much for users

We suck. So lets suck a little bit more. Is that what you are saying? :-)

> especially since there is a default installed already.

The first time I ran an installer 10 years ago, I remember staring at a screen
which gave me 2 options: GNOME and KDE, and the description for both of them
were exactly the same except those 2 words.

I don't want an user staring at yum or gnome-packagekit or whatever and
seeing 2 office suites which appear to be identical except for their names,
and wondering what the hell is going on.

> The real weakness
> in Fedora is that our package manager GUI has no way for users to figure
> out which one is more popular or recommended.

And how exactly are you going to explain all the nuances of how OpenOffice
and LibreOffice are different? Don't forget the little bit about Go-oo. :-)

Cheers,
Debarshi

--
If computers are going to revolutionize education, then steam engines and cars
and electricity would have done it too.  -- Arjun Shankar