Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 20:45:21 UTC 2013

Hi

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Debarshi Ray  wrote:

> If you consider that free software is meant for everybody, irrespective of
> their technical abilities, then, yes, it creates too much confusion.

There are multiple alternative office suites already in Linux. Adding one
more isn't really going to aggravate the problem too much for users
especially since there is a default installed already.  The real weakness
in Fedora is that our package manager GUI has no way for users to figure
out which one is more popular or recommended.  So if I am trying to
checkout which games are available in the repo, I have no way to really
differentiate between say nethack, openarena and xonotic without installing
and going through all of them one by one or reading the dull often not very
insightful descriptions and hoping to make some sense of it.  No
screenshots, no votes, no reviews,  no top lists  - nothing a regular user
would expect.

Rahul