Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Sat Feb 9 14:01:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 08:35:56PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Ven 8 février 2013 13:22, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> > On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 10:34:58AM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> >> I am providing a datapoint that directly contradicts your original
> >> statement, namely that there is a "completely different target
> >> audience" for GNOME 2 vs GNOME 3.
> >>
> >> I am that datapoint.
> >
> > As are various others during FOSDEM (Vincent Untz asked people to raise
> > their hands). No idea how representative that it.
>
> The FOSDEM poll was stacked — no one really wanted to hurt Vincent Untz
> too much given his obvious efforts to be nice, there was this knot of
> GNOME people bunched together that were a tad intimidating, and people do
> not go to FOSDEM to fight. What is telling however is the complete refusal
> of the audience to put systemd and Gnome 3 in the same bucket. Lennart's
> efforts to explain his project, understand sysadmin needs, provide a
> smooth transition and keep current usages working clearly paid off there.
>
> So don't overplay the GNOME 3 FOSDEM session, it was an awkward moment for
> everyone involved (and certainly not representative of the positive energy
> that permeated other presentations).

1. The poll was right at the beginning
2. I don't get how it is intimidating to raise your hand
3. I don't get how we were intimidating
4. A user interface is more like a bike shed than anything else

Obviously I sat together with other GNOME people, as I know them.
Sometimes I sit randomly in the audience. I find it curious that you
find something negative about my behaviour.

--
Regards,
Olav