Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 19:54:38 UTC 2013

On 9 February 2013 12:52, Michael Scherer <misc at zarb.org> wrote:
> Le samedi 09 février 2013 à 11:34 +0000, Ian Malone a écrit :

>> > Being different does not imply different target audience ... same
>> > thing and discussion happened when GNOME 2.0 got released.
>> > Now the haters from back then want GNOME 2.0 back ;)
>> >

>> Gnome 2 slowly returned to the old behaviour in many ways. Gnome 3 is
>> starting to do this.

>> > Nonsense. Shutdown has always been implemented. It just got presented
>> > differently.
>> >

>> Hidden. On the bizarre assumption users didn't need it.
>
> based on the assumption that showing "hibernate, suspend, reboot,
> shutdown, log out, lock" was asking too much questions and that we could
> do better. See http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/11/21.html for
> the rational of the problem.

Too many questions, better to introduce an unexpected mouse-keyboard
combination?

> And the assumption was that using the power button would have been easy
> enough for people to get it ( since people do get it for like almost
> every possible electronic stuff and likely all computers stuff except a
> few one ). It doesn't seems a totally bizarre assumption to me.

Sound cards used to have physical volume knobs, maybe we should
reintroduce those and then there wouldn't be a need for a volume
control on the desktop? And get rid of network manager, I can always
just whip out the aerial or ethernet cable if I want...

>> > Sure by giving you an extension system that allows you to do whatever
>> > you want with the desktop ....
>> >

>> Is anyone doing that?
>
> That's the problem. Most people prefer to talk rather to do work.
> And then complain that the others do not do exactly what they want for
> free and immediately.

Ah, no, my point is that this kind of 'do it yourself answer' doesn't
work for many people. Is the user that's confused by the choice
between shutdown and suspend expected to write their own extension to
do it? And yes, I realise there's an extension to do *that* particular
job.

I didn't. I said:
>> And neither much contemplated that the interface that's appropriate
>> for a mobile phone is not appropriate for a desktop.

Gnome 3 is designed for a touch interface. The majority of touch
interfaces are mobile phones. Touch interfaces on computers are a
minority. Gnome 3 is a poor mobile phone interface, but that doesn't
mean it's a good laptop or desktop one. Touch screen is not the
reality for the majority of office workers for example, and I do
wonder how useful it would be at all to them.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk