Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Mon Feb 11 06:01:25 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gnome 3 is designed for a touch interface. The majority of touch
> interfaces are mobile phones. Touch interfaces on computers are a
> minority. Gnome 3 is a poor mobile phone interface, but that doesn't
> mean it's a good laptop or desktop one. Touch screen is not the
> reality for the majority of office workers for example, and I do
> wonder how useful it would be at all to them.

I flew to Atlanta recently and saw a number of people using iPads in
the Bluetooth-keyboard-mounted configuration. It was ghastly to watch
- they'd type a bit, then poke the screen, type some more, poke some
more, ... I really can't imagine doing serious knowledge work without
a mouse or at least a trackpad. And I despise trackpads.

I use GNOME 3 with a mouse and keyboard. I like it. I can't imagine
using it on a phone or a tablet. I *think* what the GNOME 3 designers
(and the Unity bastardization of GNOME 3) were going for was an
interface that *could* be used either on a touch screen or a
"conventional" KVM setup. I've also tried both Cinnamon and MATE on
both Fedora and Linux Mint. Really, with a few mouse clicks, you can
customize *any* Linux desktop *except* GNOME 3 to be Mac-like (menu in
the upper left) or Windows-like (menu in the lower left) and can add
panels, taskbars, etc.

> --
> imalone
> http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk
> --

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb; Computational Journalism on a Stick
http://j.mp/CompJournoStick/

The National Coal Institute reminds you, "There's no fuel like an old fuel."