Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Feb 13 12:43:31 UTC 2013

Am 13.02.2013 13:34, schrieb Honza Horak:
> On 02/12/2013 09:10 PM, Sergei Golubchik wrote:
>> Okay, so you suggest to do nothing - neither append the includedir line
>> to the existing my.cnf nor let mariadb read /etc/my.cnf.d/ automatically
>> and implicitly.
>>
>> That's fine :)
>> I was only trying to find an alternative to "let mariadb read
>> /etc/my.cnf.d implicitly" - because I don't like an idea of adding more
>> magic to the server, it has more than enough of it already.
>
> Going back to the original idea -- it was that users will be confused if they'll see files under /etc/my.cnf.d/*
> which they can enhance but it won't take any effect. Well, adding a README file into /etc/my.cnf.d or some comments
> into files in that directory or even both, that would simply describe the need of !includedir, should just work.
> That shouldn't do any harm and should reduce confusing

a few lines in the SPEC files %install section would simply
remove the folder and this files - i know a lot of mysql
setups and have never seen one with includes and if
so then they would be created by the admin

in case of server software it is generally annoying
if random config snippets which may come with updates
change the behavior

the same affects /etc/php.d/ and /etc/httpd/conf.d/
install a package on a production server does usually
NOT mean "hey i want to have this enabled now only
because the package is there"