ConsoleKit and esound retirement

DJ Delorie dj at redhat.com
Wed Feb 13 18:15:07 UTC 2013

> Have you tried using Audacious ?

Just did.  No thanks.  /me uninstalls those five RPMs...

> You can set it to classic mode, at which point it user experience is
> identical to xmms.

No, it's not.  It's close enough to fool someone who doesn't use xmms
regularly, but it's different enough to really annoy those of us who
do.

Reminds me of a friend who hates anything gtk-on-windows because it
looks enough like windows that your instinct is to use your windows
techniques, but it's different enough to burn you every time you try
that.

> With the advantage that it uses a modern toolkit,

Disadvantage, if you ask me.  First thing audacious did was spew
random errors to the screen and change my Firefox and emacs cursors.
Then it ask which of the most recent minecraft jar files I wanted to
listen to.  When I finally located my *music* folder in its playlist
chooser, it refused to play my shoutcast streams, instead filling the
log window with more useless errors.  I managed to find one .wav it
would play, and it defaulted to 120% volume which made it sound like
crap (well, more like crap, since I still haven't figured out how to
get pulseaudio to use my digital audio outputs).

All this was before I figured out how to switch it to Winamp mode (not
xmms mode) but it doesn't support all the customization options that
xmms does, so it didn't look or act like xmms.  Plus, the playlist
management system is completely different.