Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 09:09:08 UTC 2013

On 02/13/2013 02:16 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> I for one would not want to find out that my mysql install would have
> been replaced with mariadb on upgrade ( or visa versa )

The discussion already started several weeks ago but we still need any
feedback. What are you particular concerns?

AFAIK, admins usually don't like this change because they are worried of:
1) different name
2) the upgrade
3) different API/ABI
4) more bugs

However, these are not the issues we should worried, because:
1) only package name is different; the structure and content of rpms and
file names are the same as in mysql
2) no special steps need to be done, it's really drop-in replacement
3) API/ABI is preserved when comparing mysql-5.5 and mariadb-5.5
4) the opposite is true -- several bugs are fixed in mariadb and there
are much more test cases; just try google to find admin's experiences
with mariadb: you'll usually find "more stable and faster" answers. At
least I did.

So again, if you have some concrete concerns, let us know, please.

Honza