Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 10:27:59 UTC 2013

On 02/15/2013 09:09 AM, Honza Horak wrote:
> On 02/13/2013 02:16 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> I for one would not want to find out that my mysql install would have
>> been replaced with mariadb on upgrade ( or visa versa )
>
> The discussion already started several weeks ago but we still need any
> feedback. What are you particular concerns?
>
> AFAIK, admins usually don't like this change because they are worried of:
> 1) different name
> 2) the upgrade
> 3) different API/ABI
> 4) more bugs
>
> However, these are not the issues we should worried, because:
> 1) only package name is different; the structure and content of rpms
> and file names are the same as in mysql
> 2) no special steps need to be done, it's really drop-in replacement
> 3) API/ABI is preserved when comparing mysql-5.5 and mariadb-5.5
> 4) the opposite is true -- several bugs are fixed in mariadb and there
> are much more test cases; just try google to find admin's experiences
> with mariadb: you'll usually find "more stable and faster" answers. At
> least I did

Mariadb is evolving into it's own product with it's own feature set [1]
thus should be treated as different product it should have it's own .cnf
file it's own configuration directory which is best in the long run (
from my pov ).

If I install a component what ever component I then upgrade I expect
that a) I get the latest and the greatest release of that component b)
still be running the same release of the component if not newer release
is found or if the component is no longer being shipped.

I dont expect a) that the component gets removed on upgrade, b) that I
magically somehow get migrated to a different product.

Let me take other examples of what I'm trying to refer to here with
regards to expected behavior.

If you would install libreoffice would you expect to be running
openoffice after upgrade or would you expect to be starting libreoffice
after the upgrade?

If you install mate or cinnamon or unity for that matter would you
expect to be migrated and running Gnome 3.x after upgrade or would you
expect to be continuing to use and run what got forked or based of it.

One usage scenario one simple question

If an user wants to run both those database solution on his server wont
those two overlap as in can for exaxmple users be asssured that the
changes that they make to their my.cnf wont get picked up by mariadb
when it gets started etc.

JBG

1. https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-versus-mysql-features/