headsup for llvm-3.2

John5342 john5342 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 14:52:55 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Are there any plans to bring this to F18?
>
> Good question
>
>> There was talk about bringing 3.1 to F17 including some support from
>> the Mesa guys but then nothing actually happened. I would really
>> like it if I could go through F18 without having to build my own
>> private parallel installable llvm 3.2 (i need the c++11 memory model
>> support introduced in 3.2 for my lock free algorithms).
>
> I think it would still be good to do the 3.1 backport to F17.

3.1 doesn't directly affect me any more (since the previous discussion
some time ago f18 has been released) but i do have at least a couple
of f17 machines i would be happy to test with. At least the clang
part.

> 3.2 requires newer Mesa and also some other version bumps
> of reverse deps but perhaps it could be done later for F18
> after it has been tested in Rawhide?

In the previous discussion [1] and more specifically [2] updating
appears to be a good thing for Mesa. Of course the Mesa people will
know better if that still applies. As with any slightly wider reaching
updates there is certainly no harm in Rawhide first and a reasonable
span in updates-testing.

If you want additional testing for f18 without blocking
updates-testing then repos.fedorapeople.org is also an option for
testing. I know a few people who would be happy to test from there.

> But I am not the package owner or comaintainer and
> still kind of new to llvm so it is not really my call at this point.

Still doesn't prevent discussion so that all the information is
present when whoever does make the call gets around to it.

[1] - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-November/174399.html
[2] - http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-November/174406.html

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...