Frequent dbus(?) crashes with Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Tue Feb 19 14:53:35 UTC 2013

On 02/19/2013 01:49 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2013, at 10:13 PM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:
>
>> what's "offline data collection"?
>
> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/man/smartctl.8.html
>
> Read in particular the paragraph containing the word unfortunate.
>

>> 0x0009  2           19  Transition from drive PhyRdy to drive PhyNRdy
>
> Have you had about 19 of these freezes? You said you've had the problem with lock screen which implies inactivity. I wonder if the system is sleeping/hibernating and the drive isn't waking up in time and dbus or gdm or gnome-shell are getting irritated. I'd ssh in remotely, run journalctl --follow and see what's displayed the next time you have a freeze.

Thanks for the link and key word!

I've started to lose count, but I think it's been 12 or 13 lock ups.
However, one of those failed to recover or instantly re-failed after
restarting dbus. At least, this is how many I noticed. Does the number
19 come from:

=====
0x0009  2           19  Transition from drive PhyRdy to drive PhyNRdy
0x000a  2           19  Device-to-host register FISes sent due to a COMRESET
=====

If so, is this a sign of a bad drive? If so, could gnome/dbus/whatever
handle the failure better?

I just reinstalled on the Samsung last night. As soon as I get a crash,
I will run 'journalctl --follow' and 'dmesg' and report whatever is shown.

Thanks again!

--
Digimer
access to education?