Frequent dbus(?) crashes with Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Wed Feb 20 19:42:43 UTC 2013

On 02/19/2013 01:49 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2013, at 10:13 PM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:
>
>> what's "offline data collection"?
>
> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/man/smartctl.8.html
>
> Read in particular the paragraph containing the word unfortunate.
>

>> 0x0009  2           19  Transition from drive PhyRdy to drive PhyNRdy
>
> Have you had about 19 of these freezes? You said you've had the problem with lock screen which implies inactivity. I wonder if the system is sleeping/hibernating and the drive isn't waking up in time and dbus or gdm or gnome-shell are getting irritated. I'd ssh in remotely, run journalctl --follow and see what's displayed the next time you have a freeze.
>

> Chris Murphy

An update;

   I reinstalled on the Samsung 840 Pro not long before I ran/reported
the smart test earlier in the thread. I've been running now for a couple
days with F18 and have not had another crash. The main differences from
last time is that;

a) I had installed windows on the drive and ran the Samsung SSD utils,
though I don't think it changed anything unless it did so behind the scenes.

b) I 0'ed out the entire drive (over USB from F18 on my older SSD)
before reinstalling F18 on the Samsung.

   Not sure how or if these could have changed anything. However, this
is the longest stretch I've gone without a crash since getting this
Samsung drive.

--
Digimer
access to education?