64-bit stat (or not) in 32-bit Fedora binaries

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 13:43:55 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:32:46AM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> If we add -DFILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to the default CFLAGS, this comes
> pretty close to an ABI bump.  But considering the numbers, I wonder
> if it's the right thing to do if we need to cope with 64-bit inode
> numbers.

I think that would break the "principle of least surprise".  If I write
a library which happens to expose ino_t or off_t in the API/ABI, that
library should not build under a different ABI inside rpmbuild than
outside.

If we want the "system default" for the LFS APIs to change, surely it is
safer and more correct to change the system (libc) default and have
_FILE_OFFSET_BITS defined to 64 eveywhere?

Regards, Joe