64-bit stat (or not) in 32-bit Fedora binaries

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Wed Feb 20 13:30:07 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 01:23:56PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 20 February 2013 10:32, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com> wrote:
> > If we add -DFILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to the default CFLAGS, this comes pretty
> > close to an ABI bump.  But considering the numbers, I wonder if it's the
> > right thing to do if we need to cope with 64-bit inode numbers.
>
> I think this is the sanest thing to do, and probably the least work in
> the long run.

Note, just -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 is often not enough, code needs auditing
whether it uses correct data types for file sizes/offsets (off_t), inode numbers
(ino_t), rlim_t, blkcnt_t, fsblkcnt_t etc.
Also code should be adjusted not to use fseek and ftell, instead use fseeko
and ftello.
Not all code is necessarily LFS clean.

	Jakub