Frequent dbus(?) crashes with Samsung 840 Pro SSD

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Wed Feb 20 22:45:04 UTC 2013

On 02/20/2013 05:01 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:
>>
>> b) I 0'ed out the entire drive (over USB from F18 on my older SSD) before reinstalling F18 on the Samsung.
>
> FYI this isn't a good idea with SSDs. Use ATA Secure Erase instead with hdparm, or the included Windows utility can do this - it almost always requires a direct SATA connection because most of the USB to SATA bridge chipsets are crap and don't pass through these ATA commands.
>
> What mount options are you using? In particular do you have discard enabled?
>
> Chris Murphy

Currently, as the OS disk, it mounts on boot with the default values set
by Fedora;

/dev/mapper/luks-bd252fe0-a16f-4a14-ad4e-b99a0d4c0716 /
       ext4    defaults,x-systemd.device-timeout=0 1 1
UUID=eca11946-68d8-444c-90f2-ad65455caf6d /boot                   ext4
   defaults        1 2

Thanks for the tips on secure erase. I'll use that in the future.

--
Digimer
access to education?