ghostscript changing license from GPLv3+ to AGPLv3+

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Fri Feb 22 11:14:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-22 at 11:48 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Is there some exception (like for the database with the unspeakable
> name), or does this affect CUPS?  Will CUPS be extended to allow
> downloading the Ghostscript source code?

Good question: CUPS is licensed as GPLv2, which is listed on the Fedora
licensing page as not compatible with AGPLv3+.

The cups package has a requirement on ghostscript-cups, a sub-package of
ghostscript.  This sub-package provides the CUPS filter for converting
PostScript or PDF to CUPS Raster format.  CUPS filters are separate
executables which follow a particular interface (see the filter(7) man
page) regarding stdin, stdout, and stderr.

Not being a linkage dependency, I wasn't expecting that to be affected
by the Ghostscript license change to Affero GPL.  But perhaps it would
be?

Tim.
*/