SWAT will be removed from the Samba package

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 15:09:50 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Andreas Schneider <asn at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the Samba Team has announced [1] that it will remove SWAT from the Samba
> Suite. SWAT is unmaintained and has the most security bugs.

Andrew, I'm in that thread on the Samba mailing list at
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-February/171643.html. I
don't see an actual decision there, just a call for discussion. Also,
if you decide to remove the samba-swat package from the samba suite,
should it be obsoleted or merely reported as conflicting with new
samba-common releases, to make sure people delete it before doing
upgrades and getting in dependency trouble? It might even be better
pulled as part of the next Samba 4.0.4 package.

And while you're in that package: I've got rewrite of the .spec file
and the other dependencies for RHEL compatibility of 4.0.3. It's up at
https://github.com/nkadel/samba-4.0.3-srpm/, along with RPM building
tools for all the other dependencies below:

    iniparser # not in RHEL
    krb5 # Version 1.10 in RHEL 6.4 is good enough

    libtalloc
    libtdb
    libldb
    libtevent