SWAT will be removed from the Samba package

Andreas Schneider asn at redhat.com
Mon Feb 25 16:33:09 UTC 2013

On Monday 25 February 2013 10:09:50 Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Andreas Schneider <asn at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > the Samba Team has announced [1] that it will remove SWAT from the Samba
> > Suite. SWAT is unmaintained and has the most security bugs.
>
> Andrew, I'm in that thread on the Samba mailing list at
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2013-February/171643.html. I
> don't see an actual decision there, just a call for discussion. Also,
> if you decide to remove the samba-swat package from the samba suite,
> should it be obsoleted or merely reported as conflicting with new
> samba-common releases, to make sure people delete it before doing
> upgrades and getting in dependency trouble? It might even be better
> pulled as part of the next Samba 4.0.4 package.

That's why I stated below that I will remove it when it gets removed in the
Samba development tree upstream.

I will handle the correct deinstallation of samba-swat when it gets removed
but thanks for the idea with handling it in samba-common.

I'm sure it will take some time till it gets removed.

> And while you're in that package: I've got rewrite of the .spec file
> and the other dependencies for RHEL compatibility of 4.0.3. It's up at
> https://github.com/nkadel/samba-4.0.3-srpm/, along with RPM building
> tools for all the other dependencies below:
>
>     iniparser # not in RHEL
>     krb5 # Version 1.10 in RHEL 6.4 is good enough
>
>     libtalloc
>     libtdb
>     libldb
>     libtevent

I've removed everything for older version on purpose to have a clean spec
file. We decided not to support RHEL6 with this.

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: 8B7EB4B8
Red Hat                               asn at redhat.com
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org