RFC: Fedora revamp proposal

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 5 18:17:23 UTC 2013

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 13:07:59 -0500
Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-03-05 at 12:44 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>
> > Well, in that case I suppose we'd need to add a new tag-set,
> > something like rawhide-pending
>
> In other words, another layer.
>
> I'll only repeat this maybe every 6 months or yearly, depending on how
> annoying people find me.  But basically, the #1 problem is the
> inability of RPM to go backwards (i.e. versions must always go up).
>
> It's like a car with no brakes and no reverse gear, driving down a
> road that's being dynamically built in front of it.
>
> A lot of times, the correct response to "stuff just broke!" is
> "revert". Not just revert - revert *quickly*. Don't let the master
> tree be broken. Don't go off a cliff just because someone put a wrong
> sign on the road.
>
> For example, let's say a new version of Mesa breaks GNOME with
> llvmpipe. One really can't fault the Mesa maintainers, because it's
> quite possible they tested it, just on the Intel or AMD hardware on
> their laptop.
>
> But the correct response here is still to revert to the previous Mesa
> until the problem is found and fixed.
>
> If instead what we have is another "layer"/"repo" or state of
> packages, this issue would end up blocking progress on *everything
> else* into rawhide until it was fixed, because the AutoQA tests would
> just keep failing. That's very problematic.
>
> (This is assuming the AutoQA tests are something interesting and
> useful like booting GNOME, and not spelling checks for the spec file
> descriptions or something)
>
> But given the drastic changes to RPM (and all the software built on
> top of it like mock, koji, createrepo, etc.), that would be required
> to fix this "newer is always better" problem, I can't fault you for
> saying we should add another layer.

If the issue was only 'newer is better' then rpm can easily get around
it. Hell, so can yum, now.

The issue is that we have nothing that even resembles a backward-compat
process for user DATA.

I can roll back package binaries all day long, but if there is a
db or config format which has moved on - and been modified -the user is
screwed.

For fun - try to run a desktop of f16 and f18 using a shared homedir
sometime.

So - I don't see how adding another layer is really a problem - since
the 'infinite versions in every direction' won't help our users losing
their configs or worse their data.

am I missing something here? Have we solved the user data problem?

-sv