RFC: Fedora revamp proposal

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Mar 5 18:28:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-03-05 at 13:17 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> If the issue was only 'newer is better' then rpm can easily get around
> it. Hell, so can yum, now.

But koji, createrepo and such can't, right?

> The issue is that we have nothing that even resembles a backward-compat
> process for user DATA.

True, but the biggest problems are things like new versions of colord
that trip up a selinux-policy denial which then in turn cause
gnome-settings-daemon to crash which in turn gives you a failure at GDM.

None of that involves user data.

> For fun - try to run a desktop of f16 and f18 using a shared homedir
> sometime.

At least in GNOME we used to have a strong policy of enabling this, but
admittedly a lot of core applications do it wrong.

> So - I don't see how adding another layer is really a problem - since
> the 'infinite versions in every direction' won't help our users losing
> their configs or worse their data.
>
> am I missing something here?

Yes - that we don't need to solve the user data problem for all software
immediately to support rolling back a Mesa upgrade.