Unhelpful update descriptions

Nils Philippsen nils at redhat.com
Thu Mar 14 10:55:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-13 at 14:26 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 20:20:01 +0000
> Debarshi Ray <rishi.is at lostca.se> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
> > I think it would be a much better use of our time to audit and test
> > updates than writing %changelogs that can be understood by laymen.
>
> Spot had a plan related to this. basically bundle up monthly updates to
> all critpath (non security) stuff, QA it, and then push it out as a
> bundle.

I see one problem with this approach: we're bound to have some update
slipping into stable which breaks something that isn't caught in
testing. If we do something like that, there needs to be a "fast lane"
for updates fixing such broken updates so people don't have to wait a
month for the fix. Unless...

> People using yum/other tools directly could keep doing whatever they
> currently do.

...this means that these "bundles" mean something additional to the
normal repositories. I don't know about Spot's plan you mentioned, where
can I find information about it?

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty