AppData questions

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 23:12:50 UTC 2013

On Wed, 6 Nov 2013 19:43:25 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:

> > What is the recommended procedure to test new .appdata.xml files?
>
> Install them to /usr/share/appdata/ -- i've not tested this with
> Fedora 20, but I know it works if you're using the rawhide package.

Yes, with Rawhide it works and displays the long description.

> >   /usr/share/appdata/soundconverter.appdata.xml 1 problems detected:
> >   • attribute invalid     : <screenshot> width was too small
> > The contributed file does not set any attributes width or height.
>
> How large is the actual screenshot in pixels? If you run
> "appdata-validate -v foo.appdata.xml" it'll tell you the parameters
> it's using for validation.

$ wget -q http://soundconverter.org/screenshot-soundconverter.png
$ file screenshot-soundconverter.png
screenshot-soundconverter.png: PNG image data, 502 x 534, 8-bit/color RGBA, non-interlaced

$ appdata-validate -v /usr/share/appdata/soundconverter.appdata.xml |grep -i size
ScreenshotSizeWidthMin=624
ScreenshotSizeHeightMin=351
ScreenshotSizeWidthMax=1600
ScreenshotSizeHeightMax=900

$ appdata-validate -v /usr/share/appdata/soundconverter.appdata.xml
[AppdataToolsValidate]
LengthUpdatecontactMin=6
LengthNameMin=3
LengthNameMax=30