unaccessability

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 17:36:02 UTC 2013

Hi

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Christian Schaller  wrote:

> Hi,
> The core principle of the installer is that it operates on an application
> level and not a package level. The current way it determines if something
> is an application
>  is by looking for a .desktop file. So in theory you could put a
> bitchx.desktop file  into the bitchx package and it would appear in the
> installer. That said I don't
> think it is generally a bad idea if command line/terminal applications are
> installed from the command line, but there is no hard policy blocking such
> applications from making themselves available in the installer.

It might be a good idea to rethink this strategy.  I don't have a problem
with using yum but I am not going to fire up the installer just for gui
packages and fall back to command line to install command line
applications.  It is a confusing approach.   Perhaps instead of ignoring
them entirely, you can just sort the results or having a secondary view
"Click here for command line applications that match your search results"
etc can be considered.

Rahul