Using git for patch management in Fedora

Peter Lemenkov lemenkov at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 10:32:58 UTC 2013

2013/11/19 Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com>:
> Several packages are using git for patch management.  eg:
>
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/erlang.git/tree/erlang.spec#n46
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/libguestfs.git/tree/libguestfs.spec?h=f20#n22
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/qemu.git/tree/
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/ocaml.git/tree/ocaml.spec#n16
>
> Some of these packages have invented home-brewed methods to generate
> the Patch lines in the spec file, eg:

I hope we'll see some progress in RPM in regards to VCS integrations
soon. Because that's the main issue with RPM and related
infrastructure nowadays.

> More importantly, all are using random git repositories to store the
> exploded tree.  This makes it difficult for co-maintainers and proven
> packagers to fit in with the patch management chosen by the
> maintainer.  Usually they won't have access to the git repository for
> these patches, making it difficult to add patches and near impossible
> to upgrade to a new version.

I'm using https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/ for that. For example
erlang is stored here:

https://git.fedorahosted.org/git/erlang.git

It contains a mirror of main upstream repo and few branches with
Fedora-related patches.

I think we should expand this practise (mirroring of a git-reposiories
of upstream projects with a Fedora-specific patches) further and add
more git mirrors here, at Fedorahosted. I personally love to see
fedora kernel as a Git-managed tree instead of few dozens of random
patches and a spec-file.

--
With best regards, Peter Lemenkov.