Using git for patch management in Fedora

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 19 10:55:40 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-19 at 10:32 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 06:28:47PM +0800, Mathieu Bridon wrote:
> > Or maybe we could start using %autosetup ?
> >
> >   http://www.rpm.org/wiki/PackagerDocs/Autosetup
>
> '%autosetup -S git' for sure, not plain %autosetup.
>
> Git correctly handles file modes and binary patches (not that binary
> patches should be much of a concern here, but file modes definitely
> are).

Fair enough. I wasn't really suggesting any option (or the absence of
it), but point taken.

To be honest, I'd go even further: just like we got rid of %clean
sections, maybe we could get rid of %prep sections in most cases?

rpmbuild could just assume that if no %prep section is present, then it
should just use %autosetup, with a certain set of options agreed upon.

--
Mathieu