fedora-release-$PRODUCT, /etc/issue, /etc/os-release, Per-Product Configs and more!

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 15:51:21 UTC 2014

On 07/10/2014 05:22 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 07:04:21AM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/teams/server-wg/server-wg.2014-02-25-16.00.html
>> That's why I said the *specific* netinstall he was asking for. The
>> Fedora Server netinstall wouldn't be producing a non-productized
>> result, which is what he asked for: "4.  There would be, at least, a
>> net install CD to install a traditional "non-productized" Fedora system."
>
> Which totally makes sense from the Server WG pov, of course. Digging further
> into the logs, I find
>
> 16:42:53 <nirik> mitr: I guess I'd be ok with that... then leave netinstall
>   for base
>
> Since I know Base has decided to include anaconda in their circle, I'm going
> to ask if that group is interested in producing a non-productized minimal
> netinstall -- possibly as a spin. If they're not, this is probably a "help
> wanted" for someone else interested in this existing.

With my Workstation WG member hat on: if Base is willing to pick up
netinstall (both the boot.iso and PXE), we would love that.

We originally wanted to ship only the live media for F21 Workstation,
but releng convinced us (or forced might be a better word :-) to ship
netinstall as well. Releng's reasoning was that we can't leave it out of
Workstation because otherwise Fedora would have no working netinstall.
Which makes a lot of sense on one hand, but on the other hand a
netinstall that can only install Workstation might not be what users expect.

If there's an option of producing a generic, non-productized netinstall,
that would be best and we would be able to drop this from Workstation.

--
Thanks,
Kalev