Enable tapping by default

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Nov 17 22:28:53 UTC 2014

Mustafa Muhammad wrote:
> Hi, I am testing Fedora 21 beta and -like all previous versions- click
> by tapping is off by default.
> Several bug reports concerning this were closed as NOTABUG, but
> tapping is useful for us (people who use it), I don't think it bothers
> the others that much, and is on by default in most operating systems
> and Linux distributions.
>
> What can we do to make this happen?

Can we PLEASE not have this discussion over and over again? The reasons for
this default have been explained many times:
1. The default we ship is the default of the upstream synaptics driver.
2. Having tapping enabled can cause accidental clicks in several different
   situations:
   * at the beginning of a move (moving the finger to the touchpad too
     strongly),
   * during a move (accidental finger trembling),
   * while doing unrelated activities such as typing (accidentally touching
     the touchpad).
3. Touchpads have dedicated buttons (or areas marked as virtual buttons) for
   clicking. Why is another way to click needed?
(Reasons 2 and 3 are probably also why upstream does 1, so it's also
pointless to ask upstream to change the default.)

        Kevin Kofler