Abandoning boinc-client

Mattia Verga mattia.verga at tiscali.it
Thu Nov 20 18:21:02 UTC 2014

Hi all,
despite my efforts and many wasted hours I'm unable to build recent
versions of boinc-client (I'm stuck with errors about gtk-2.0 and
gtk-3.0 co-existence).
I'm only a co-maintainer, but the primary maintainer has abandoned the
package to its fate long time ago (but he never orphaned it) and there
are a lot of bugs that he never cared about. So, despite the fact that
the package will not be orphaned, it will be de facto when I will
abandon it.

It would be nice if someone more skilled can take some care to it. Apart
from problems due to gtk-3.0, I think the way boinc-client works should
be rethought: the daemon mode leads to many problems accessing GPU
computing capabilities and detection of user activity in X. In my
opinion boinc should be started by user and not by a system process and
it must run project files into user home directory to allow more users
on the same workstation.

Today I've made the last changes to clean up some stuff. I hope someone
other has interest to take care of it.
Thank you

Mattia