Abandoning boinc-client

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Fri Nov 21 08:22:39 UTC 2014

Mattia,

On 2014-11-21 05:21, Mattia Verga wrote:
> Hi all,
> despite my efforts and many wasted hours I'm unable to build recent
> versions of boinc-client (I'm stuck with errors about gtk-2.0 and
> gtk-3.0 co-existence).
> I'm only a co-maintainer, but the primary maintainer has abandoned the
> package to its fate long time ago (but he never orphaned it) and there
> are a lot of bugs that he never cared about. So, despite the fact that
> the package will not be orphaned, it will be de facto when I will
> abandon it.
>
> It would be nice if someone more skilled can take some care to it.
> Apart from problems due to gtk-3.0, I think the way boinc-client works
> should be rethought: the daemon mode leads to many problems accessing
> GPU computing capabilities and detection of user activity in X. In my
> opinion boinc should be started by user and not by a system process
> and it must run project files into user home directory to allow more
> users on the same workstation.
>
> Today I've made the last changes to clean up some stuff. I hope
> someone other has interest to take care of it.
> Thank you

The boinc-client problems on recent versions of Fedora have been driving
me crazy! - I have drastically reduced the amount of stuff I do for
BOINC because of it.  It is a bit sad - I would really like to do more
NOT LESS for BOINC!  Maybe when I get myself a new workstation I will
leave the old machine running as the server without X etc and not have
to worry about boinc-client driving me crazy . .

Thanks for the work you have done to date anyway - I appreciate it.

Regards,

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades