Ramblings and questions regarding Fedora, but stemming from gnome-software and desktop environments

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 16:48:25 UTC 2015

On 05/01/15 17:35, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> Here in the fourth world USA, we aren't actually seeing a decrease in
> slow lines but an increase as the oligarchy in control of networks is
> figuring out ways to advertise faster speeds but actually only deliver
> much slower ones. You can get 200 MB in a short burst and then 4.5 MB
> and your upstream is most likely 128kb->256kb. I realize that Europe has
> a much better infrastructure these days.. but 60% of Fedora customers
> are in rural US regions which aren't as well served.
>
> In any case, for everyone in this conversation. Please please please
> don't make the assumption that because X does or does not work great for
> you because of where you live etc.. that everyone else has the same
> experience. Actually assume it is probably safer to assume that outside
> of whatever reality bubble you live in, it is not.

I don't envy how the political climate on your continent has affected
this for you. However, connecting to the top of this sub-thread, for the
Fedora Workstation usecase this is not necessarily that bad - a
developer works normally with local tools, although of course browsing
and downloading is affected by network speed.

Cheers!

--alec