F22 System Wide Change: GCC5

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 14:28:31 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 09:12:42AM -0500, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> [...]

How is that different from any other past Fedora releases (with the
exception of F21)?  If I remember well, at least starting with GCC 4.3 (March 2008)
new GCC was deployed always in the spring release of Fedora, we've skipped
4.2 before that and as there was no spring release last year, GCC 4.9 was
kind of an exception too.

> time, schedule is more strict time based - what would it mean for you if
> GCC 5 will miss F22? I'm not saying it's going to happen but it could be
> option.

Well, if we want to turn Fedora into a collection of obsolete software
rather than trying to lead progress, we don't have to update anything.
In the past, from my experience with both GCC distro maintainer and upstream
maintainer hats, shipping GCC early in Fedora helped both projects,
the early deployment in Fedora helped Fedora developers to use latest
langauge features (e.g. GCC 5 will finally have C++11 compliant std::string
or std::list, and feature completeness on the C++14 language side, see
changes.html for other stuff), help upstreams make the packages more
portable and enjoy better generated code (e.g. if you really want to make
PIE the default on x86_64, doing it with 4.9 is just a terribly bad idea
because only in 5 you can actually rely on PIE copy relocs and not get hit
as much by the PIE penalty as before), and for the GCC project lead to
wider testing and more bugfixes.

	Jakub