F22 System Wide Change: GCC5

Miloslav Trmač mitr at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 17:49:17 UTC 2015

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 02:24:29PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > I was thinking exactly that, mass rebuild is scheduled for Jan 30th
> > according to the schedule [1] with branching 10 days or so later. That
> > is only two weeks away. With statements like "The release will happen
> > probably in the first half of April" when we're already suppose to be
> > be in freeze from end of March I think this would be better landing in
> > F-23 right after we branch F-22 off on Feb 10th. Ultimately the above
> > gives us no room to move and a roll back is another mass rebuild which
> > will only cause more delay!
>
> Again, how is that different from F9, F11, F13, F15, F17, F19?

We are learning not to do the same mistakes all over again ☺

Now it could, I guess, be argued, that gcc has a long history of not having egregious failure modes we are learning from, and should be allowed to land later.  OTOH there is also, IIRC, a history of having to do a second (full or partial) or even a third rebuild due to necessary gcc bug fixes, and landing the .0 version at the time we ship Beta is basically an explicit bet that there will be no such bug in .0, or we are slipping.
    Mirek