DNF as default package manager

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Jan 21 16:12:34 UTC 2015

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:13:24 +0100
Mathieu Bridon <bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2015-01-21 at 11:02 +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> > Dne 21.1.2015 v 10:35 Peter Robinson napsal(a):

> > > I don't think it's ready, it might be useful to have an option to
> > > switch it over for local use to enable easier wider testing but I
> > > certainly don't think it's ready to be default for mock yet.
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > I am using mock for Fedora development with DNF enabled by default
> > and it works just fine. May be you want to share what is troubling
> > you?
>
> There is a difference between « it works just fine for me » and « it
> works to build the distro »

and for it works to build the distro it has to work on releases all the
way back to rhel 5 as we build epel for rhel5 still and need to make
rhel5 chroots. I have not heard of anybody testing that at all yet.

> The latter needs much more testing and guarantees than the former,
> although the former is certainly encouraging.

mock upstream recently has changed its approach to how it works and
while it may be good for new things its causing issues in other areas.
it is an area that needs extensive testing and no regressions. Right
now I would strongly oppose a move to default mock to dnf until we can
be sure that nothing is broken by it.

Dennis